Seasoned Roasted Turkey
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: about 3 Hours and 30 Minutes
Ready In: about 4 Hours
Makes about 14 Servings
1 12-14 lb, turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
1/2 teaspoon salt)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup of butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon tarragon
1 tablespoon marjoram
1 tablespoon rosemary
2 cloves of garlic minced
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degree F.
2. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey;
discard or refrigerate for another use.
3. Rinse the turkey with cold running water; drain and pat dry
with paper towels.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, thyme, tarragon, marjoram,
rosemary and garlic. Set aside.
5. Season the inside of the turkey with salt and pepper.
6. Starting at the neck end of the turkey, loosen the skin by
sliding your fingers underneath it, being careful not to tear
it. Slide your hand as far as you can toward the other end of
the turkey, separating the skin from the meat. Rub about two-thirds
of the butter mixture over the entire breast.
7. Secure the neck skin to the back with skewers. Fold the wings
under the back of the turkey. Place the legs in tucked position.
8. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack
(sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) in shallow roasting pan
(no more than 2-1/2 inches). Insert an oven-safe thermometer
into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not
touch the bone.
9. Rub the remaining butter mixture over the entire turkey.
10. Cover the turkey with a loose tent of foil.
11. Roast the turkey in a pre-heated 325 degree F. oven for about
2-1/2 hours; then remove foil and baste the turkey with the pan
12. Continue to roast the turkey for about another hour until
meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F. in the thigh.
13. Remove the turkey from oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes