Glazed Roasted Turkey
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: about 3 Hours and 30 Minutes
Ready In: about 4 Hours
Makes about 14 Servings
12-14 lb. whole turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
salt as needed
freshly ground black pepper as needed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions, chopped fine
1 16-ounce Can jellied cranberry sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degree F.
2. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey;
discard or refrigerate for another use.
3. Rinse the turkey with cold running water; drain and pat dry
with paper towels.
4. Season inside and outside of the turkey with salt and pepper.
5. Tie drumsticks together and twist wing tips behind back.
6. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack
(sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) in shallow roasting pan
(no more than 2-1/2 inches). Insert an oven-safe thermometer
into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not
touch the bone.
7. Cover the turkey with a loose tent of foil.
8. Roast the turkey in a pre-heated 325 degree F. oven for about
2-1/2 hours; then remove foil and baste the turkey with the pan
9. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat
and cook onions with salt, pepper and rosemary, stirring occasionally,
15 minutes or until very soft. (NOTE: Do not let the onions brown.)
10. Stir in the cranberry sauce and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce
heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
11. Remove the foil and pour glaze over the turkey.
12. Continue to roast 1/2 to 1-1/4 hours or until the thermometer
registers 180 degrees F. in the thigh and 170 degrees F. in the
13. Remove the turkey from oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes