THANKSGIVING TURKEY AND GIBLET GRAVY
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 4 Hours
Ready In: about 5 hours
Makes about 14 servings
12 to 16 pound turkey
4 garlic cloves
3 celery ribs
2 medium onions
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
vegetable oil cooking spray
4 black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1. Pre-heat oven to 325
2. Cut the onions into eighths;
cut the celery ribs into thirds; and cut the garlic cloves in
half. Set aside.
3. Remove neck and giblets from
body and neck cavities; set aside.
4. Drain juices and dry turkey
with paper towels.
5. Place half of the onion, celery,
garlic and parsley in body cavity of turkey.
6. Place the turkey, breast side
up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan. Cover skin with cooking
7. Roast the turkey 3 1/2 hours
to 3 3/4 hours or until thigh temperature is 180 degrees F.
8. Cover breast and top of drumsticks
with foil after 1 and a half hours to prevent overcooking of
9. Let turkey stand for about
25 minutes before carving.
To Make Giblet Stock:
1. Place the turkey neck, heart, gizzard and remaining onion,
celery, garlic and parsley in large saucepan or Dutch oven. (For
best flavor, it is recommended not including the liver.)
2. Add 5 cups of water, salt
3. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce
heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
4. Strain the giblet stock, cover
5. Pull meat from neck and discard
bones. Finely chop neck meat, heart and gizzard; cover and refrigerate.
To Make Giblet Gravy:
1. Strain the pan drippings
into 4 cup measuring measure.
2. Remove the fat from drippings,
placing and a quarter cup fat into a medium saucepan and discarding
3. Stir in the all purpose flour
4. Add reserved giblet stock
to pan drippings to make 4 cups.
5. Slowly add the drippings to
the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
6. Cook and stir until the gravy
boils and thickens slightly.
7. Stir in neck meat and giblets
and heat until hot.
8. Season with salt and pepper
9. Pour the gravy into a heated
sauceboat to serve.